Thousands of women nationwide are expected to participate in a series of pre-election demonstrations Saturday, including a noon march in downtown Los Angeles, focusing on women’s reproductive issues, getting out the vote and protesting the Trump Administration’s efforts to replace the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
A number of virtual events, voter registration drives, phone banking efforts and text messaging campaigns are also planned.
In addition to the Los Angeles march, similar gatherings are scheduled in other parts of the Southland including Pasadena, Long Beach, Torrance and Laguna Niguel.
“There are over 400 being planned around the country and Pasadena is one of them,” organizer Jenna Karvunidis, who is co-hosting a march outside Pasadena City Hall, told the Pasadena Now website. “This march particularly has to do with not confirming the new Supreme Court justice until after the election.”
“It was Ginsburg’s dying wish to not be replaced until after the election, and I think that we should honor that.”
Women’s Marches have been held regularly since Jan. 21, 2017, the day after President Donald Trump was sworn into office, in one of the largest public demonstrations in U.S. history.
Today’s gatherings are the second under the Women’s March banner this year. The earlier marches were held Jan. 18 to commemorate the 2017 event, and renew support for women’s rights.
“Women are going to decide this election,” Rachel O’Leary Carmona, executive director of the Women’s March, told the Washington Post. “We are fired up. We are ready to take action. This is a preview of what you’re going to see on November 3rd.”
Here is a list of some of the actions planned today in Los Angeles and Orange counties:
- 9:30 a.m. LAGUNA NIGUEL – Capistrano Unified Women’s March, Hidden Hills Park, 27802 Springwood
- 10 a.m. WESTLAKE VILLAGE – A Women’s March Rally for Joe & Kamala, The Promenade at Westlake, Westlake Boulevard and Thousand Oaks Boulevard
- 11 a.m. PASADENA – Pasadena Women’s March, Pasadena City Hall, 100 N. Garfield Ave.
- 11 a.m. PALOS VERDES ESTATES – Women’s March 2020, Palos Verdes City Hall, 340 Palos Verdes Drive
- 11 a.m. BREA – Women’s march, corner of Brea Boulevard and Imperial Highway
- Noon DTLA – L.A. Women’s March, Pershing Square. 532 S. Olive St.
- Noon TORRANCE – Women’s March – South Bay, Victor E. Benstead Plunge. 3331 Torrance Blvd.
- Noon ENCINO – Voter Registration Drive, Encino Park, 16953 Ventura Blvd.
- Noon GRANADA HILLS – Love Trumps Hate Rally/Corner Protest, Granada Hills Veterans Memorial Park, 10680 Zelzah Ave.
- Noon CRENSHAW – Voter Registration Drive, Lula Washington Dance Theatre. 3773 Crenshaw Blvd.
- Noon SEAL BEACH – Seal Beach March for Women & Human Rights, Big Tree near Parking Lot on the northwest corner, 300 Main St Seal Beach CA 90740
- Noon LONG BEACH – Long Beach Rally Against Trump Filling RBG Seat, Ocean Boulevard and Pine Avenue to 100 E. Ocean Blvd.
- 2 p.m. TUJUNGA – Women’s March Against Trump Agenda, Albertson’s, 6240 Foothill Blvd.
More information and a complete list of events is available at https://womensmarch.com.